"Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. Psalm 30:5b







Tuesday, July 12, 2011

POTS has been the PITS

I am going to start out by giving a little bit of background information. I have been sick off and on for the last couple of years with numerous different things that the doctors could never pinpoint. Then I had finally gotten to the point where I was back to work and doing well, until the beginning of February when I came down with Pleurisy and ended up battling that for a couple of weeks. It is possible that the Pleurisy, which is a virus, is what brought on the POTS. At the end of February, I started having problems with palpitations or a fast heart rate. They told me there was nothing to worry about. Then one night I stood up and my heart was racing and I almost passed out. The next morning it continued only seemed to be getting worse. I ended up in the ER. They said I was dehydrated and sent me home. The next day I ended up in the ER again, this time they said I had vertigo or problems with my inner ear causing the dizziness and sent me home. The third day, I went to my doctor and my heart rate was around 180 when I stood up and almost passed out so she called the ambulance and sent me back to the hospital this time admitting me. After several days in the hospital and several tests, one being the tilt table test, they told me I had POTS. I was told to drink lots of water and increase my salt intake and given follow up appointments with the Electrophysiologist in a couple of weeks. Of course, I was not allowed to work or drive until at least then. For me, being a registered nurse, I was pretty much devestated.

Over the next several weeks and couple of months the doctor tried a couple of things which failed including toprol, proamatine and some that have helped a little Florinef.

NOW....I am still having mostly rough days. I am not nearly as dizzy as I was but I still am having a lot of heart racing. It does not matter if I take a bath or a shower my heart rate is still high when I do either (150-160s). I also am still pretty high when I do any kind of exercise for example today my niece and I went for a walk and my heart rate went up to the 150s. My blood pressure is still pretty low some mornings even on the florinef 90/62 with dizziness and shaky, but I praise the Lord that I am not as bad as some. I still have to stop and take naps a lot of days. I am going to be starting a new medication this week, but I am not sure what the name of the medication is. I will keep you all posted. The cardiologist that I saw in Rochester, NY also wants me to try compression stockings, walking 30 min per day, and lots and lots of fluid.

That is all that is going on with POTS.....

No comments:

Post a Comment